Assessing the solid waste management strategies in Nakawa division: a case of Luzira parish
Akiteng, Linda Robinah
MetadataShow full item record
Solid waste management is increasingly becoming the biggest problem in many urban centres of the world and Uganda is no exception ,This study intended to understand the efficiency and effectiveness of solid waste management in Nakawa division under the case study of Luzira parish ,the study focused on three key objectives; to identify the types of domestic waste generated in different households, to assess the solid waste management practices in terms of sorting ‘reuse of waste, collection, storage and disposal, and to examine the main challenges with solid waste management. The researcher used two methods of data collection for collecting information from the respondent’s questionnaires and interview methods. The data was analysed using statistical package for the social science (SPSS). The findings of the study revealed that; majority of respondents generate 46.3% of polythene and plastic materials compared to other types of waste, the level of item reuse is relative low in the area 45% of the population which reuse the waste still think that cannot do anything to reduce the amount of waste generated. The study also reveals that door to door is the most common point of collection of waste in the area since over 58.0 indicated, the level of sorting of waste is still low since only 32.5% adopted sorting in the area and the rest 67.5% don’t sort at all, majority of the people indicated that they use gunny bags 41.3% for storing their waste before disposal. A number of recommendation are made to different stakeholder responsible for waste management and these included; need to increase on the intervals for waste collection, sensitisation of mass on the values of reuse, sorting of wastes in order to reduce on the amount of waste generated, need to increase on the level of funding to the waste management department so as to facilitate acquisition of more trucks and hardware for waste management.