Assessment of acaricide use practices in livestock production by farmers in Bulangira Sub County, Kibuku district
MetadataShow full item record
Acaricide use malpractices are some of the factors that have led to emergence of acaricide resistant ticks in Uganda, which is a big threat to livestock industry. A cross sectional study was carried out in Bulangira Sub County, Kibuku District between 15th/12/2019 and 20th/05/2020 to assess acaricide use practices in livestock production by farmers. The study involved 108 respondents from the four Parishes of the Sub County. The data was collected using a semi-structured questionnaire and analyzed by SPSS version 21 for descriptive frequency and Pearson’s chi- square. Results showed that all respondents applied acaricides by hand spraying. Majority of farmers applied acaricides by themselves, that is 81.4% and only 18.6% used veterinarians. Most farmers estimated acaricide volume during reconstitution (52%) and the rest (48%) followed manual leaflet. Majority of the respondents (50%) used knapsack for spraying, 29.6% used hand sprayer, 18.6% used pressure pump and 1.7% used leaves. Amidine was the most used class of acaricide (52%), followed by Parathyroid (39%) and the least used was organophosphate-cypermethrin combination, (9%). Farmers applied very little solution of reconstituted acaricide per animal (1 to 6 litres) which indicated insufficient wetting of animals. Farmers were highly exposed to acaricide since they sprayed without recommended protective gears like overall, face mask, hand gloves and gumboots. Self-licking, accidental consumption and malicious poisoning were the reported sources of animal poisoning by 22% (24/108). The acaricide use practices in the Sub County are generally poor. We therefore recommend that sensitization and training of farmers should be done to avoid the consequences of acaricide use malpractices.