MetadataShow full item record
Animals interact or cope comfortably with its environment, resulting in satisfaction of both its physical and mental state. This satisfaction enhances expression of normal behavioral patterns by the animal. This study was carried out with the objectives of establishing the welfare status of zero-grazed dairy cows in Kyanja Parish by evaluating the most violated freedom, determining the awareness of animal welfare among the owners of zero grazed dairy cows and to give recommendations on how to raise zero-grazed dairy cows without abusing their welfare after establishing theirstatus. This was a cross-sectional study carried out by administering semi-structured questionnaires covering aspects of zero-grazed dairy cow’s welfare to owners of the dairy cows in Kyanja Parish which include (Kasaana Zone A, B and C, and in Katumba Zone A and B). In the Zones under study 3 to 7 farmers from each ward were chosen and the whole study involved 25 dairy farmers. Some observations were made on the design of zero-grazing unit structures, feeding, watering, disease control and breeding practices undertaken by the dairy farmers. The study established that Zero-grazed cow’s nutrition in general was not good because this was indicated by body scores of the animals. Some of the dairy cows were not provided with overhead shelter but slept outside, exposed to extremes of weather with the sleeping places having slurry and varied levels of hygiene. It was also established that the dairy farmers had very little knowledge regarding animal welfare and wellbeing in general with only 3 farmers, 12% aware of animal welfare and the rest 88% had very little or no knowledge regarding animal welfare. The health challenges facing zero-grazed dairy included: pneumonia 2%, East coast fever20%, mastitis 25%, lameness 10%, foot rot 18%, helminthosis 6% and fly nuisance 100%. This study concludes that inadequate knowledge on animal welfare amongst farmers in these zero-grazed dairy cattle in the smallholder dairy units of the Kyanja Parish has directly resulted to poor animal welfare. There were also other several reasons including resource constraints, low economic returns to investing in animal welfare and absence or non-enforcement of animal welfare regulations.