The social and eating characteristics of pork consumers in the urban areas of Uganda: a case study of Rubaga division, Kampala district.
MetadataShow full item record
Pork is one of the most consumed meats in Uganda. This study therefore shows the social and eating characteristics of pork consumers in the urban areas of Uganda, a case study of Rubaga division, Kampala district. The study specifically determined the socio-economic characteristics of pork consumers in Rubaga division, Kampala district and the eating characteristics of pork consumers in Rubaga division, Kampala district. A pre-test structured questionnaire was administered to the pork consumers to collect data concerning the given objectives. This was accomplished by use of a transit walk sampling technique; at least 10 pork consumers were sampled from each of the five areas within Rubaga division. A total of 50 respondents were surveyed. The study found out that majority of 78% of residents in Rubaga division consumes pork because of its taste. Majority of pork consumers in Rubaga division (68%) were male and the rest female (32%). Majority of the respondents were Protestants (56%), followed by Catholics (36%) where as other religions had 8%. The study found out that their some religious restrictions against eating pork more especially among the Muslims since pork is considered as unhealthy. The study found out that majority of the pork consumers (44%) were household heads because they owned the families and responsibilities of taking family members out was upon them .The study show that most of the people in Rubaga division consume more pork during the weekend than during the week days. 23% of the respondents said they normally take pork at least once in two weeks. This is because they find it more comfortable. 12% once in a month while the rest either at least twice a week and once a week respectively. More than 25% said they take other meats once a week. This is because other meats have a lot of various other types. Most respondents responded that they take pork most in December (40%). This is because it is mostly festive season. October (30%) ranked second with November third (24%). The rest of the months shared the remaining months.30% of the respondents told me they least consume pork in January and February while over 15% in April. This is because this time people normally have no money to buy delicacies. This indicates that pork is not the staple food for people in Rubaga division since it eaten for luxury. Religion is a major aspect towards consumption of the pork meat .It was found that pork is mostly eaten by Protestants and Catholics while Muslims do not eat it at all. Therefore pork joints should be put away from Muslim communities. There is need to bring pork joints to drinking places such as bars since people prefer eating pork with beers in order to increase pork eaters in Rubaga division. There is also need for pork sellers to form associations that responsible in setting standards prices for all pork joints to reduce price instability of pork in Rubaga division. Cleanliness should be maintained a lot by the pork joints because clean environment provide a conducive atmosphere for customers to enjoy their pork very well.