A comparison of accident rates at roundabouts and signalized junctions.
MetadataShow full item record
Road safety is one of the most pertinent community issues of not just Kampala City, but the country at large, and globally. With 93% of the world’s fatalities on the roads occurring in low and middle-income countries, even though these countries have approximately 60% of the world’s vehicles, it is estimated that if not curbed, road traffic crashes are likely to increase. Kampala Metropolitan area has the largest number of registered vehicles in Uganda, and the highest number of road crashes compared to other parts of the country. Kampala City alone registered more than 4,000 crashes and over 685 road traffic fatalities in 2020, according to statistics by the Uganda Police Force. The entire country registered 12,249 crashes with 3,269 of those fatal. Road traffic crashes and associated consequences have a great impact on the development and general well-being of residents in Kampala and Uganda at large. Intersection designs are done with the sole purpose to reduce collisions of the traffic. This research studies the comparison of the accidents occurring at signalised junctions and roundabouts. Six (6) of the busiest junctions (three (3) signalised junctions and three (3) roundabouts) within Kampala Metropolitan Area (KM) were studied and analysed taking into account the nature, the severity, and the frequency of the accidents as well as the risks to which the road users are exposed. The research discovered that 55% of the accidents occurring at junctions were registered at signalised junctions compared to the remaining 45% being registered at roundabouts. Rear end and side impact collisions were the most common at roundabouts while side impact and head-on collisions were the most common at signalised junctions. This majorly resulted into serious and fatal categories of crashes.