Performance-based rewards and the performance of teachers in private secondary schools : A case study of Mbarara District
Kataha, Janet Komugisha
MetadataShow full item record
This study assessed Performance-Based Rewards and the Performance of Teachers in Private Secondary Schools: A case study of Mbarara district. The study depicts the gap between knowledge in standards of employees by the school managers on how teachers are rewarded. This was done basing on some performance evaluation. Organizations in the world are recognizing the significant opportunity to improve the return on their human resources investment by aligning organization plans with business strategy and enhancing the value delivered to employees. This process is crucial to business success, and the ability of the organization to attract and retain top performers and critical-skill employees, in an increasingly competitive environment. The study covered private schools in Mbarara district. The performance based-rewards motivate teachers to work hard on the students’ excellence. Primary data was gathered from 150 respondents and analysed using the Statistical Package for Social Scientists to provide findings. 57.3% of the respondents were males and the rest were female (42.7%). The population comprised of headteachers, proprietors and teachers who made 16.7% and 83.3% respectively. 48% of the respondents were found to be permanently employed, 38% and 14%were in the temporary and fixed term categories. The study revealed however that, public appreciation and promotion were so common and this was due to the fact that they had no or little financial implications on the private secondary schools. The researcher recommended that administrators should be trained and sensitized about the value of performance-based rewarding systems. They should be made aware that pay motivates teachers to perform at their best. The researcher also recommended reward-based systems should be based on performance considerations. The offer of rewards based on non-performance considerations should be done after a fair and accurate evaluation of its effects on the beneficiary. The researcher further recommended that the nature of performance-based rewarding systems in schools should be based on the essence of ensuring that teachers are looked at as the prime component of resource allocation and distribution where school administration becomes hierarchical and cooperation between school management and staff becomes furthered interdependently.