Fine needle aspiration cytology findings of breast lumps in female patients presenting with palpable breast masses at pathology department Makerere University College of Health Sciences.
MetadataShow full item record
Background: A palpable breast lump is a common clinical problem that presents to surgeons, gynaecologists and general practitioners. In the past, excisional biopsy was the accepted practice current practices utilize radiological imaging in combination with needle biopsy. Mulago hospital receives referrals mainly from the neighbouring hospitals and occasionally other regional referrals. Unfortunately, majority of the patients present late with attendant poor outcome due to late diagnosis. Objectives: To determine the prevalence of cytological abnormalities of breast masses, correlation between breast abnormalities with age; breast cancer awareness. Method: A cross-sectional prospective review of case notes of all participants that presented with palpable breast masses between January 2019 and May 2019 was carried out. Data studied included demographic characteristics and breast cancer awareness. Results were analysed using SPSS Statistics 16.0. Results: A total of 193 participants were seen, out of which 37 (19.2%) had malignant breast disease and 145 (75.1%) benign breast disease, 10 (10%) suspicious breast disease and 1 (0.5%) atypical breast disease. The minimum age was 11yrs and maximum age was 87yrs. Fibroadenoma 86cases 44.6% was the commonest followed by fibrocystic disease 14cases 7.3% positive for malignancy 13cases 6.7% suspicious 11cases (5.7%). Benign breast lesions were common in the age group of 21-30 years and malignant breast lesion common in the age of 41- 50 years of age. 91 participants were aware of breast lumps/cancer 47.2% and the remaining 102 participants 52.8% were unaware. Conclusion: The prevalence rate of breast cancer in the study was 19.2%, benign breast disease 75.1% suspicious 10% and atypical 0.5. Women aged 55 years and older had an increased risk of breast cancer. Recommendation: There is need to extend Cytology services in remote areas of the country and educate women about breast cancer most importantly breast self examination